Steidtmann & Roitzsch (fl. 1900-1948?)
Reisszeugfabrik Steidtmann & Roitzsch established in 1900 by Emil Arno Steidtmann and Emil Otto Roitzsch. Both partners were former employees of Reisszeugfabrik E.O. Richter & Co. From 1898 to 1900 Steidtmann held the position of authorized signatory (Prokurist) at E.O. Richter & Co.; and starting from at least 1889 Roitzsch was in Richter's employ as instrument-maker (Mechaniker). From 1900 up to the last available directory Sachsenbuch of 1948, Steidtmann & Roitzsch's address is recorded at Limbacherstrasse 128 in Chemnitz.
Fig 1. Steidtmann & Roitzsch founded in 1900. Adressbuch der Fabrik- und Handelsstadt Chemnitz 1932. [http://digital.slub-dresden.de]
Fig. 2. Title pages of the Steidtmann & Roitzsch 'Preisliste Nr. 1' and 'Preisliste Nr. 2' catalogues, both dating from 1913.
Emil Otto Roitzsch
Fig. 3. The directories Adressbuch der Fabrik- und Handelsstadt Chemnitz of 1889 to 1900 have Roitzsch's residence located on the first floor of the back building on the Richter factory premises at Melanchthonstrasse 4. Richter moved his factory from Lutherstrasse 33 to Melanchthonstrasse 4 in 1888, which remained the site of the E.O. Richter factory until after WW2.
Fig. 3a. The site of the Richter factory
Melanchthonstrasse 4 in 1889. The Richter factory employed 30 workers in 1890. Wilisch, Hugo: Stadtplan von Chemnitz, 1:10 000, Lithographie, 1889. [SLUB]
Emil Arno Steidtmann
Fig. 4. In the Adressbuch der Fabrik- und Handelsstadt Chemnitz of 1900 Steidtmann is recorded as head clerk (Prokurist) at E.O. Richter & Co. [http://digital.slub-dresden.de]
Steidtmann & Roitzsch
Fig. 5. Steidtmann & Roitzsch's first recorded listing in the 1901 Adress-buch der Fabrik- und Handelsstadt Chemnitz; the factory was located in the back building at Limbacherstrasse 128. [http://digital.slub-dresden.de]
Fig. 5a. Steidtmann & Roitzsch's last known recorded listing in 1947.
Sachsenbuch: sächsisches Landesadreßbuch für Behörden, Industrie, Handel, Handwerk und freie Berufe, Band 3. 1947. [SLUB]
Fig. 6. One of the most characteristic features of S&R's compasses is the slotted straightening device DRGM 268118 patented in 1906. [Der Mechaniker 1906]. This patent is a further development on their earlier straightening device DRGM 237106 from 1904. The S&R DRGM 268118 is an answer to Richter's straightening device DRGM 208730 patented in 1903.
Fig. 6a. Excerpt from the S&R 1913 catalogue showing their straight-ening device (Kopf-Gerade-Führung).
Fig. 7. An advertisement from 1902 (left) showing the S&R early compass pattern. Oddly enough this seems remarkably similar to F.E. Hertel's compass pattern. [Blätter für Architektur und Kunsthandwerk 1902, No.12, p. 99. Google Books].
The other ad (right) from 1906 shows the S&R compass head modelled after the original flat pattern patented by Richter in 1892. [Blätter für Architektur und Kunsthandwerk 1906, p. 90. Google Books].
A few scans from the Steidtmann & Roitzsch Preisliste No. 1 1913 catalogue.
This catalogue lists the highest grade of drawing instruments. Individual instruments are listed as well as sets 0P to XXIP, in a designation similar to E.O. Richter's.
A few scans from the Steidtmann & Roitzsch Preisliste No. 2 1913 catalogue. The drawing sets in this catalogue were of a lower grade for use by technical schools, architects, and engineers etc.