Georg Schoenner (fl. 1850-1957) Nuremberg.

Georg Schoenner (*1821-†1899) establishes a workshop in Nuremberg in 1850. His first recorded address is Grübelsstrasse S.1635 in 1852. In the 1840s he travelled to Vienna where he spent his journeyman years learning manufacturing methods. One of the first German drawing instrument manufacturers to invest in production machinery, he was able to mass produce high quality instruments for export. In 1860 the factory had a workforce of 10 and was powered by a 3 horsepower waterwheel. By 1910 it had become the largest drawing instrument factory in the world with 475 workers and powered by a 175 horsepower diesel engine. The founder's  son, born in 1851, joins his father in 1864; and in 1877 becomes partner in the firm, the company is then named Georg Schoenner & Sohn

 

Georg Schoenner Jr. (*1851-†1921) becomes sole proprietor in 1882 and in 1900 receives the title of Kommerzienrat. He has many patents to his name, all for drawing instruments, specifically improvements to compasses and ruling pens. Patents are applied for in the US, Germany and Switzerland. He fitted out the factory with advanced machinery, making the company one of Europe's leading manufacturers. 

 

After his death in 1921, the company is converted into a general partnership with the heirs as partners. The company's director is then the founder's grandson Paul Georg Schoenner. In 1957 the company, having their address at the Harsdörfferplatz, ceased production. Another son of Georg Schoenner Sr., Jean Schoenner (*1853), was the founder of toy factory Spielwarenfabrik Jean Schoenner in Nuremberg.  


1852-1865

Georg Schoenner's first listing appears in the 1852 edition of Nürnberg's Handel und Industrie. His address given is Grübelsstrasse S.1635 (=Grübelsstrasse 14).

 

Special Plan der K. B. Stadt Nürnberg G. Ludwig Wenng 1850.


1866

Around 1866 Schoenner moves to from Grübelsstrasse 14 to Breitegasse 93. He sells his drawing instruments via stationer  J. Herrmannsdörfer.

Fränkischer Kurier 20.12.1867

 

 


1867

Schoenner was a participant at the 1867 Paris Exhibition, and had a workforce of 20.

Industrie und Landwirthsehaft BAYERN auf der internationalen Ausstellung PARIS im Jahre 1867.

 

 


1873

Schoenner displayed at the Vienna Exhibition in 1873. In 1871, with a factory workforce of 48 and 12 external workers, the company produced between 3000 to 4000 drawing sets. The factory was powered by an 8 horsepower waterwheel [3].

 

 

 


1886

By 1886 Schoenner's business had relocated to larger premises at Gartenstrasse 7. Nürnberg Adreßbuch 1886.

In the 1936/37 Bavarian directory Schoenner is listed at Schanzäckerstraße 32, possibly due to a factory expansion. 

Bayerisches Landes-Adressbuch für Industrie Handel und Gewerbe, 1936-37.

 

Plan der Stadt Nürnberg Gottlieb Schwarz, 1888 (with house numbers) Gallica.  


1893

Left: Schoenner at the World's Columbian Exposition Chicago 1893. Amtlicher katalog der ausstellung des Deutschen Reiches. Internet Archive.

1904

Right: Schoenner at the St Louis World Exhibition.

International exposition St. Louis 1904. Official catalogue. Exhibition of the German empire. Internet Archive.


1910

This illustration from the Aloe catalogue 1910 shows Schoenner's straightening device applied to his newly introduced flat pattern instrument line.


1913

Probably due to the impending World War, Schoenner's drawing instruments are redubbed "TEC" brand in the 1913 Technical Supply Company Catalogue, Scranton, Pennsylvania; p.46, 47, 48, 59. [6]. 


1926

Left: Georg Schoenner Reisszeugfabrik advertisement. In the mid 1920s Schoenner was producing flat, round and Swiss pattern drawing instruments.

Bayerisches Landes-Adressbuch für Industrie Handel und Gewerbe, 1926.

Courtesy of GenWiki / BLF-Bibliothek Augsburg.

1928

Right: two versions of Schoenner's straightening device. C.F. Pease catalogue 1928, p. 166


1936

Bayerisches Landes-Adressbuch für Industrie Handel und Gewerbe, 1936-37.


1948-1957

After the war the Schoenner factory's address changes to Harsdörfferplatz 12. Before the war Carl Eckert & Sohn Reisszeugfabrik was located at this address. 

Schoenner ceases production in 1957.

Bayerisches Landes-Adressbuch für Industrie Handel und Gewerbe, 1948, volume 2.


REFERENCES / NOTES

 

1. Kolesch & Company Illustrated Catalogue and Price-List 1917 p. 63-73.

 

2. STARCK, Georg; Die Entwicklung der Deutschen Reißzeugindustrie, Universitätsverlag von Robert Noske in Borna-Leipzig, 1925.

 

3. Amtlicher Katalog der Ausstellung des Deutschen Reiches  By Universal Exhibition (1873, Wien), page 502.

4. Georg Schoenner; Stadtlexikon - Stadtarchiv Nürnberg

1851 gründete Georg Schoenner in der Breiten Gasse einen Handwerksbetrieb. Durch den Einsatz neuer Techniken gelang ihm die Herstellung von Reißzeug in bisher nicht gekannter Qualität. Unter seinem Sohn Georg, der die Fabrik 1877 übernahm, erweiterte und mit Spezialmaschinen ausrüstete, zählte das Unternehmen europaweit zu den Branchenführern. 1957 stellte die Firma S., die inzwischen an den Harsdörfferplatz verlegt worden war, die Produktion ein. Weltruf besaß auch die Spielwarenfabrik von Jean Schoenner, eines weiteren Sohns des Firmengründers. 

 

5. Technical Supply Company Catalogue 1913; Tec Brand drawing instruments. p.46.

 

6. Festschrift zur 40sten Hauptversammlung des Vereins Deutscher Ingenieure in Nürnberg vom 11.15 Juni 1899 p.477-479. SLUB Dresden.

 

7. C.F. Pease Catalogue, Chicago 1928; p.128-138. 

 

8. Catalogue and price list of the Frederick Post Company 1910, Primo drawing instruments; p.71, 74-89.