Neuhöfer & Sohn (fl. 1881-1940), Vienna.

Neuhöfer & Sohn

Set of plotting triangles for use with scale 1:2880. On the underside of the case is a paper label with the Vienna coat of arms (double-headed eagle) with the following text: Neuhöfer & Sohn Wien K.u.K. Hof-Optiker und Mechaniker V. Hartmanngasse 5. From the information on the label (fig. 4) the production of this set can be dated to between 1913 and 1919.


PAS, J.B. te; Carl Neuhöfer, translated by J.B. te Pas, Bulletin of the Scientific Instrument Society, 52 March 1997, p.31-32. 

NOTES

 

In 1854 Josef Neuhöfer (b. 1825) joins Optisches Institut Carl Gross (est. 1848?) at Kohlmarkt 1149-1150 in Vienna. It is renamed Optisches Institut Carl Gross & Comp. Die Presse 17. Dezember 1851. Wiener Zeitung 1. September 1854.  ANNO - Historischen Österreichischen Zeitungen und Zeitschriften. 

 

Optisches Institut Carl Gross & Comp. is dissolved in 1859. Die Presse 1. Juli 1859. ANNO - Historischen Österreichischen Zeitungen und Zeitschriften. 

 

In 1861 (20. Mai 1861) Neuhöfer partners with Julius Friedberger for manufacturing of mathematical and optical instruments, the company is called Neuhöfer & Friedberger and located at Stadt 240. The company is dissolved in 1862.  Ambtsblad zur Wiener Zeitung 1862.

 

Neuhöfer partners with Ignaz Feiglstock on 22 March 1865. The Neuhöfer & Feiglstock optical shop is located at Kärtnerstraße 51. Wiener Zeitung 30. März 1865.  Militär Zeitung 30. September 1865. Neuhöfer & Feiglstock is dissolved in 1868. Wiener Handelsregister 17. Oktober 1868.

 

In 1873 Neuhöfer is awarded the honorary title of: kaiserlich-königlicher Hoflieferant (Purveyors to the Imperial and Royal Court).

 

Joseph Neuhöfer awarded a Grosse Goldene Medaille in 1876. see label.

 

The Adolph Lehmann's allgemeiner Wohnungs-Anzeiger has Neuhöfer's shop at Kohlmarkt 7 (same address as formerly Carl Gross & Comp.) from 1865-1880. Josef's son Carl becomes partner in the company in 1881, which is then renamed Neuhöfer & Sohn. Neue Freie Presse, 4 Juni 1881, page 9. 

 

Josef Neuhöfer passes away 11.07.1889 aged 64. Neue Freie Presse, advert, 13 Juli 1889, page 13.

 

Carl Neuhöfer is awarded the title of Kommerzialrat in 1905(?) [needs to be confirmed]. 

 

Between 1890 and 1900 the address given is Kohlmarkt 8. From 1913 the sole address given is Hartmanngasse 5. From 1883 to 1919 Lehmann lists the company as Hofoptiker & Mechaniker, K. K., Neuhöfer & Sohn. From 1920 the company is listed as Optiker & Mechaniker Neuhöfer & Sohn.

 

In 1925, Carl Neuhöfer leaves the company, it is incorporated and renamed Neuhöfer & Sohn A. G. für geodätische Instrumente u. Feinmechanik

The company is liquidated in 1940. Festschrift Rudolf & August Rost says liquidated in 1959.

Handbuch der Deutschen Aktiengesellschaften, Volume 48, Part 1:

"Neuhöfer & Sohn Akt.-Ges. für geodätische Instrumente u. Feinmechanik in Liqu., Wien. Auflösung durch Treuhändler-Beschluß August 1940. Abwickler Treuhändler Leopold Tomascek, Wien."

 

Patent 103099 1925 Neigungswage mit trommelförmiger Anzeigevorrichtung. 

Patent 104527 1926 Brückenwage. 

Patent 107765 1927 Ableseeinrichtung für Meßinstrumente. 

Patent 149696 1937 Bohrer zum Probenehmen aus Holz. 

 

http://www.rechenschieber.org/Neuhoefer.pdf

 

http://109.123.214.108/en/victims/PERSON.ITI.948039

Hmm... Could this be the same fellow?